Veal fricandó recipe
The best veal fricandó recipe with all the tips and tricks to make it perfect, from how to buy the meat to the type of mushrooms you can use. It is one of our top recipes on the menu at
All year round
Veal fricandó recipe
AUTHENTIC veal fricandó
By: Marc Grivé
This incredible recipe has been passed down from generation to generation. In other words, it is a fricandó where the product and tradition are the main elements to succeed.
- 500g of sliced can or sirloin of poor man’s meat
- 2 large onions
- 1 glass of rancid wine
- a head of garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 80 g. dehydrated perrechicos (moixernons)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt (to taste of each house)
- Flour for breading
- 1 tablespoon almond powder
- 2 glasses of water
- We start by heating olive oil in a pan and lightly fry the fillets with a little flour that we sprinkle directly into the pan, practically turning them over and over. We reserve them.
- In the same pot we brown the grated onion with the same oil we used to cook the meat, over medium heat. When the onion is golden brown add the rancid wine, cooking it all, stirring, to obtain a well confit sofrito.
- Add the reserved meat, wine, garlic and bay leaf. Allow the alcohol to reduce. Cover the meat with the water, add the moixernons and a little salt. Let it cook for 45 minutes over medium-low heat.
- We take out the garlic head already confit and extract the meat to add it to the pot, we will also add the almond powder. Stir gently and cook covered over medium-low heat for approximately 45 minutes more, or until the meat is tender.
The best parts of the veal for fricandó
- Llata or sirloin of poor (we recommend this one to prepare the veal fricandó)
- Counterbore head
The butcher’s can or sirloin steak
Whether because they are ugly pieces or because they do not exist in large quantities, some cuts are hard to find. Among them is the butcher’s sirloin. Never heard of it? We explain
What is the butcher’s can or sirloin?
the butcher’s tenderloin is also known as the butcher’s fillet or the poor man’s sirloin. A piece obtained from the shoulder, specifically from what is called the shoulder barrel, is located in the upper part of the shoulder.
It is called the butcher’s sirloin because it is an ugly-looking piece, so people did not choose it and the butcher ended up taking it home to use it there.
What is special about the can for fricassee?
If we observe the butcher’s sirloin, we will see that we obtain round fillets, which have as a peculiarity a central nerve that divides it into two parts.
Many people think that this nerve can make the meat tougher or more difficult to eat, but this is not the case. Contrary to what it might seem, this nerve turns to gelatin when cooked and makes the meat more tender and juicy.
How to cook the llata for fricandó?
This cut is ideal for grilling or roast beef. It can also be the perfect piece to prepare delicious and tender skewers, but the best preparation is for veal fricassee. The result is spectacular.
Now that you know what this delicious snack is all about, will you ask your trusted butcher for it?
Tip on traditional veal fricandó
Buy good quality products
One of the most important points is to buy good product, mainly the meat, that is to say, that it has good color, fat infiltrated in the form of veins and also, that it has a good smell.
What mushrooms can I add to fricandó?
The best mushroom and the one used in the traditional recipe are the perrechicos (moixernons), you can use fresh or dehydrated, one of the important points is to make sure that the mushroom has no sand, it can ruin the fricandó.you can also use trumpets, they will give a darker color but intense flavor.
Do I have to make the veal fricandó overnight?
Yes, yes and yes, this is what makes the difference, since in 24 hours a process of osmosis is created where the flavors are more homogenized and the rested meat is softer, it is very important that you let it rest in the same pot or do not handle the meat too much after cooking it, it is so tender that it falls apart, so try not to break it.
What happens if the fricandó meat is tough?
Each meat has its own point, but do not worry, if it is hard it is because it lacks time, you should check the texture at intervals of 20 minutes, you will see that it will begin to soften.
What to serve with veal fricandó?
There are many garnishes to accompany the veal fricandó but it is important to look for a neutral garnish so as not to overshadow the flavor of the meat, such as white rice or potato.
6 Michelin-starred restaurants in Barcelona for less than 50€!
These Michelin-starred restaurants in Barcelona have a lunch menu at a more affordable price, so don’t miss this special date!
The best beach restaurants in Barcelona
In this post you will find the best beach restaurants in Barcelona that you can not miss, take a look and enjoy the sun!
The best cocktail bars in Barcelona
In this post you will find the best cocktail bars in Barcelona that you can’t miss, take a look!